Saturday, April 27, 2013

Saturday Music Club: songs for (of) my parents

Dinah Washington and Brook Benton: You've Got What It Takes


Brubeck Quartet: The Duke


Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins: I Shall Not Be Moved


Ray Charles: Hit the Road, Jack


Joe Turner: Honey Hush


Peggy Lee: All Right, Okay, You Win


Enoch Light and the Light Brigade:  Eight Days a Week


The Mamas and the Papas: California Dreamin'


The Zombies: Summertime


Mulligan Quartet: Festive Minor


George Shearing and Peggy Lee: Lullaby of Birdland


Glenn Miller Orchestra: Serenade in Blue


Engelbert Humperdinck: After the Lovin'


The 101 Strings: Hawaii Five-0


The Anima Eterna Orchestra: Scheherazade

4 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Great lineup, Todd. I like "California Dreamin" and never tire of listening to Humperdink, introduced to me by my wife. His "Forever and Ever" also sung (rather plainly) by Demi Roussos is one of my favourites. I also like his "Am I That Easy to Forget."

Todd Mason said...

My mother had a "media crush" on Humperdinck of years standing...might still.

This represents some of their demonstrated tastes, with a fair amount of mutual favorites over the years, while of course not capturing the range of their enthusiasms (no New Band of Spike Jones for my father, no Captain and Tenille for my mother, no Tijuana Brass nor Carpenters for both, for example)...

Ron Scheer said...

Eddie Izzard has a funny routine on Englebert Humperdink. . . And thanks for the Peggy Lee-George Shearing. What a wonderful combination.

Todd Mason said...

I'll have to look that up...Lee and Shearing are a natural duo, no?